users@glassfish.java.net

[ADVICE] DAS best practices in prodcution environment ?

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 05:15:13 -0600 (CST)

Hi,
If possible, I would need your suggestions on ths best pratices to setup
glassfish DAS on our production platform.
The context is the following:
- Currently, we have more than 100 webapps hosted in clustered tomcat servers
(at least 2 tomcat instances are used for lb) hosted on virtualized machines,
- We are studying the migration of application servers from tomcat to
glassfish, we are thinking about the following architecture:

  * Group webapps together in term of functionality criteria in the same
    domain.
  * Each webapp will be deployed in a cluster composed of 2 glassfish
    instances hosted in 2 different nodes (and probably with several glassfish
    instances on the same node).

Due to the number of webapps hosted, this will lead to the creation of
multiple domains, each of them hosting several cluster instances.
I have seen that a common best practice is to separate the DAS from hosts
used as glassfish instances.
I agree with this, but I would need your advices to go in the right direction
to setup glassfish domain(s) adminstration.
According tou you, which option should be the best ?:

/*option 1:*/
- Use only one VM for the DAS that will host multiple domains (each domain
will then hosts several clusters).
Using for that asadmin "create-domain" --portbase option for each domain
instance should do the job.
In our production platform, this will probably lead to the creation of more
that 20 different domains.
I have read that this configuration is rather uncommon.
Moreover, if this option is chosen, this will lead a lot of domain number and
in addition of the feasability it will probably difficult for Adminstration
tasks (eg. deployments) to known the relationship beetwen a particular domain
and its adminstration port number.
/*option 2:*/
- Use one dedicated machine for each adminstration domain => will multiple
the number of VM that will host each DAS but its not really an issue.
/*option 3:*/
- Use only one DAS hosted on one machine and create as many as cluster
instances as needed. Everything is administrated by one domain, and I fear
that it could be messy over time and that the DAS instance become overloaded.
According to you, which option should be the best or maybe is there a 4th
option ?
Cheers,
Larico

--
[Message sent by forum member 'kerigan']