users@glassfish.java.net

Clustering questions

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:17:35 -0600 (CST)

 Hi

I am about to start deploying my application into clusters, I am still at the
early proof of concept stages and I found one are where I need some
references to documentation.

I have this osgi bundle that can read/write some data (configuration) from a
database. When I write to the database I notify all interested observer
bundles that their configuration has changed. This gives other bundles a
change to dynamically reload their configuration without the need to actually
restart the bundle. In a cluster though, if server A handles the request to
write to the database it also needs to send a notification to the other nodes
so that they also reload their configuration.

A long time ago I did this in WebSphere using some of their APIs. I had a
similar bundle actually determining if it was running in standalone mode or
if it was in a cluster. In the latter case, it would send a notification to
the DMGr (similar to the DAS from what I can tell) and that notification
trickled down to the other nodes (subscribed to the JMX event) then everyone
would know it was time to reload.

The questions are

a) Is there a way/jmx call/api to determine if we are runniong in a
standalone mode or in a cluster?

b) Is there a notification system where one can send notifications from one
server to other members of the cluster?

Thanks!

--
[Message sent by forum member 'el_eduardo']