users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Websphere vs Glassfish

From: Radim Kolar <hsn_at_sendmail.cz>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:24:45 +0200

> Have you filed issues in the GlassFish community JIRA
> (http://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH) so issues you see with
> GlassFish can be fixed ?
no.

i will give you simple example:

slush# ab -c 200 -n 1000 http://www.filez.com/index.jsp\?q=karman
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking www.filez.com (be patient)
Completed 100 requests
Completed 200 requests
Completed 300 requests
Completed 400 requests
Completed 500 requests
Completed 600 requests
Completed 700 requests
Completed 800 requests
Completed 900 requests
apr_poll: The timeout specified has expired (70007)
Total of 910 requests completed
slush#
first about 900 requests are completed really quickly, then glassfish
hangs for about 2 minutes. After it recovers, it never runs again on
normal speed. it runs very slowly (about 100 timers slower).

> This will make your feedback more actionable for us to work on.
>
> You've mentioned v2 and v3 - could you be specific about the versions
> you have used?
glassfish V2 UR1, 3.1.1

>> glassfish - server monitoring sucks,

1.
often if you set monitoring to LOW, you get no usable output which is
kinda confusing. for example in JDBC pool, web container, connector
service, http server and such. So it must be set to HIGH for doing
something.

2. there is no ability to graph counters. Look at geronimo 2.2, you can
select some counters and put them into graph. set monitor interval every
5 minutes and you will see graph for few days back. Its acceptable
monitoring. You can download websphere 7 for developers and explore its
monitoring, its really very nice stuff there.

3. no ability to reset monitoring counters (such as high watermarks).

4. better visual presentation of collected values in console. click to
open section is difficult to navigate. Make toolbar on top or left side
to choose section.

5. some counters are in some cases bad: (too high)

MaxTime 1318697985767 millisecond Oct 15, 2011 6:59:45 PM Oct 15,
2011 7:18:17 PM -- Maximum response time
ProcessingTime 4063784441 millisecond Oct 15, 2011 6:59:45 PM Oct 15,
2011 7:18:17 PM -- Average response time
ServiceTime 5274792204777 millisecond Oct 15, 2011 6:59:45 PM Oct 15,
2011 7:18:17 PM -- Aggregate response time
ErrorCount 0 count Oct 15, 2011 6:59:45 PM -- -- Number of error
to 400)
RequestCount 1298 count Oct 15, 2011 6:59:45 PM Oct 15, 2011
7:18:17 PM -- Number of requests processed

> What would you like to see ? Could you share some insights into what
> would constitute good monitoring capability in your view and file
> enhancement requests in JIRA?
take a look at Geronimo or Websphere to check how their monitoring
output looks like.

>> but GUI for cluster management is great help, almost all WARs runs
>> out of box. update tool is really nice stuff, performance is better
>> then geronimo, stability is not very good, scheduled restarts are
>> required for improving server health.
>
> It would greatly help to know specifics of the issues you are seeing -
> are restarts required because of heap exhaustion, high CPU
> utilization, perm gen issues, deadlocks ?
perm gen issue after few app redeploys (all app servers are doing that),
deadlock, sometimes it just runs slowly but not due to full heap or high
cpu, it seems to wait for some timeout in connector. i am not aware of
memory leaks in G 3.1.1
> so-so documentation,
> What do you see lacking? I request you to please give us specifics.
for example. how to import existing private key + certificate
how to use JMS from apps running outside glassfish and how to
authentificate users