users@glassfish.java.net

Unclear definitions of HTTP listener settings

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:25:06 -0500 (CDT)

I can't understand the semantics for some of the settings in the admin
console for GF 3.1.

I have a HTTP listener för my main traffic, using HTTPS.

Under the HTTP tab there are a number of important settings. The explanation
for some of them, on the same web page and in the Help section, is not clear
at all to me. I would suggest that the documentation can be much improved
here.

+ Request Timeout.

"Time after which a request times out".

"The number of seconds before a request times out. If the request is not
processed before the timeout value is reached, the request is ignored. The
default value is 30 seconds."

Sounds rather straightforward, BUT! What happens at the timeout?? I wrote a
Servlet doGet() that calls Thread.sleep(forever), and added a small Filter
that logs all requests and responses. A request is logged ok. After the
specified timeout, a 200 response is sent back. AND the original request is
RE-SENT to theServlet. So now there are TWO threads sleeping! Isn't this
weird?

(The real problem here is that some of my server tasks can take a long time,
and after the timeout ANOTHER PARALELL task is started! That's really bad!)

+ Max Post Size.

"Maximum size of POST actions"

"The maximum size in bytes of POST actions. The default value is 2097152
bytes."

I have no problems uploading a 11 MB file using a POST (multipart-MIME).
Huh??

+ Upload timeout

"Enable closing of connection for a servlet that reads bytes slowly after
Connection Upload Timeout is reached"

"If this option is selected, the connection for a servlet that reads bytes
slowly is closed after the Connection Upload Timeout limit is reached. If
this option is disabled, servlet connections do not time out. This option is
disabled by default."

What, exactly, is meant by "slowly" here? Less than X bytes per second? Or
that the entire POST request takes more than 'Connection Upload Timeout'
milliseconds?

By the way, I have seen indications that after this timeout (or perhaps
'Request timeout'), ANOTHER PARALELL file upload is started. Eeek!

Isn't this weird? And is there a way to prevent GF to re-issue the requests?

--
[Message sent by forum member 'tmpsa']