users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish 3.1.1 unable to deploy web application

From: Bobby Bissett <bobby.bissett_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:27:33 -0400

Hi,

You shouldn't have to do any of these manual steps. When you use the update center to update a 3.1 installation (for example) to 3.1.1, it doesn't touch the domain. Without the update center, you can do the same thing manually:

1. unzip 3.1.1 zip file
2. copy domainX from 3.1 installation domains dir to the 3.1.1 domains dir (stop the domain obviously)
3. start the 3.1.1 server

It will start up with the old domain without any other changes needed on your part. If the domain needs to be upgraded, which is the case when starting with a 2.X or 3.0.X domain, then the server will tell you what to do. But you shouldn't need to manually fiddle with domain.xml, and doing so might not leave your server in a usable state.

If starting the newer server with the older domain doesn't work, then there's a bug in whatever module isn't working correctly.

Cheers,
Bobby