users@glassfish.java.net

Confirm DAS Failover Behavior

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 10:59:49 -0500 (CDT)

 Hello,   I am working on failover of the DAS from one node to another in a
two node scenario.     So far, I have the domain directory on shared
storage.  I can start the DAS processes using asadmin start-domain on either
node.  However, what I have found is that
/u01/glassfish3/glassfish/nodes/nodename/agent/config/das.properties needs to
reflect the current node running the DAS process.  If it does not reflect
the current node running the DAS process, then things like deploying
applciations to the cluster using asadmin seem to break in almost the same
manner described here:
http://www.java.net/forum/topic/glassfish/glassfish/deployment-problem-glassfish-31-remote-instances
  I have executed the following scenario, and would like to confirm there is
nothing further I need to do to "sync" the DAS with instances after a
failover.
  1) Update all das.properties files to reflect node1 as the value for
     agent.das.host
  2) Start the DAS process on node 1
  3) Deploy an application to the cluster, and it is successful
  4) Run asadmin list-instances on node 1, and it is successful
  5) Run asadmin list-instances on node 2, and it generates a message
     indicating: Remote server does not listen for requests on
     [localhost:4848]. Is the server up? No such local command,
     list-instances. To run remote commands, start the application server
     (e.g. 'asadmin start-domain'). Command list-instances failed.
  6) Stop DAS process on node1
  7) Update all das.properties files to reflect node2 as the value for
     agent.das.host
  8) Start DAS process on node2
  9) Deploy an application to the cluster, and it is successful
  10) Run asadmin list-instances on node 2, and it is successful
  11) Run asadmin list-instances on node 1, and it generates a message
      indicating: Remote server does not listen for requests on
      [localhost:4848]. Is the server up? No such local command,
      list-instances. To run remote commands, start the application server
      (e.g. 'asadmin start-domain'). Command list-instances failed.

So, my question is, is this all I need to do for DAS failover?  I am aware
that I could use a virtual IP and not have to update the das.properties, but
for now I am on this path for site specific reasons.  Is there anything else
I need to do to sync the instances with the DAS after a DAS failover?

Also, do I understand asadmin functionality correctly?  Even updating
das.properties on a node that is not running the DAS process, I still can not
invoke asadmin to execute adminsitration commands.  If DAS is running on
node1, for example, and I must run an asadmin remote command from node2, then
I must use the following syntax:

  asadmin --host node1 --port 4848 --user admin list-instances   Thank you
for any feedback you can offer!

--
[Message sent by forum member 'sspyrison']