users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Which port is asaadm really listening on?

From: vince kraemer <vince.kraemer_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:29:50 -0700

Hi Pete,

I am not sure what you are doing, but I see signs that you are not using
the standard interfaces for the server... which may be a contributing
factor to your troubles.

Let me make sure that I understand what build of glassfish you are
actually using.

please show me the output of these commands....

1. java -version
2. asadmin version

I will highlight a couple things that seem troublesome to me in your
last message, below...

vbk

Pete Helgren wrote:
> Thanks Vince. I am not quite there yet. And there is more to this
> than just this issue. I have autodeployed two applications but now I
> can't autodeploy. There is an issue with the web admin console (which
> I will post shortly) but I'd like to just deploy the new app at this
> point.
>
> The domain has two applications currently deployed and running. I can
> hit both of the URL's. However the command line admin instance
> returns the following:
>
> es/admin-cli.jar --port 7848 --host 10.0.10.207 <--- note the host
> entry as well

We don't recommend using the admin-cli.jar directly. The standard
interface here is the asadmin command.

> Use "exit" to exit and "help" for online help.
> asadmin>
> list-applications
> Command list-applications failed.
> asadmin>
> deploy domains/domain1/autodeploy/asaap3.war

OK. I think you have misunderstood the concept of autodeployment.
Placing a war file in domains/domain1/autodeploy should trigger
deployment automagically. There is no need to use asadmin's deploy
subcommand in this case.... or there should not be.

> Command deploy failed.
> asadmin>
>
> 'The status 500 would indicate that ?what? isn't running?

Hmm. I am not sure at this point.

> Am I dealing with two servers: An admin server and then a "domain"
> server that serves the Glassfish app? Or is it a single server
> listening on different ports?

A single server that listens on multiple ports. The admin port is
typically 4848 and the port for user apps is typically 8080.

> If so, when I type asadmin at the command line and then type
> start-domain domain1 does that start both an admin web instance AND
> the applications installed in the domain?

When you start a domain, you start the 'admin app' and any applications
that are installed in the domain.

> If I start asadmin without the host parameter I see this:
>
> es/admin-cli.jar --port 7848
> Use "exit" to exit and "help" for online help.
> asadmin>
> list-applications
> Remote server does not listen for requests on [localhost:7848].
> Is the server up?
> No such local command, list-applications. To run remote commands,
> start the a
> pplication server (e.g. 'asadmin start-domain').
> Command list-applications failed.
> asadmin>

The asadmin command tries to communicate with the a server's admin
services at localhost:4848 (or 127.0.0.1:4848). You may have configured
the domain.xml to not listen on localhost, when you set the port to 7848.

That is the danger of editing domain.xml directly... which is why we
discourage folks from doing that.

You may want to use kill to stop your domain, delete domain1 and then
recreate it using the create-domain command.

vbk