users@glassfish.java.net

Re: remote JNDI lookup fails from web started client

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 05:01:52 PDT

Ah, the added detail helps, Martin.

I believe - but am not positive - that the current ORB/naming implementation is limited in being able to connect to only one cluster at a time. (Cluster support as in GlassFish 2.x is being worked on for the GlassFish 3.1 release.) With cluster support the ACC can be given multiple endpoints but those endpoints should be in the same cluster. The ACC tries to connect to each in turn, and once it connects to one that server ORB tells the client ORB what other server-side ORBs from the cluster are available.

I think there are other postings in this forum about a single client attempting to connect to multiple non-clustered servers and people have had problems with that.

I will have the ORB and naming teams take a look at this topic and perhaps add their input.

One other note. Our intent is that clients behave exactly the same way whether launched using Java Web Start or using the appclient command. One thing that you might try - even if in production you want to use Java Web Start launches - is to try launching your client using appclient and see if the behavior is the same. Generally using appclient is easier to debug.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn']