users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JRuby with GlassFish 3.0.1

From: Robert Weeks <RWeeks_at_ext-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:14:52 -0700

Hello -

> Just a little feedback:
> I was trying to move my Redmine (rails based app) installation from
> Apache + fcgid to GlassFish 3.0.1 + JRuby + Apache AJP.
>
> 1st issue:
> If you're using JDK1.6u18 or higher, then you're going to encounter with
> the following bug:
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6923688
>
> The approved workaround from the JRuby guys was to either patch JRuby or
> use latest trunk. So I've builded myself a JRuby 1.6.0.dev and
> configured it properly with GF.

There are some other issues we had as well with u18 and above - we have had to get around it too.

> 2nd issue:
> How the hell is it possible to set the environment for a Rails app on
> deploytime?
> Arun Gupta on his blog stated:
>> Just include RAILS_ENV=production at the CLI to change the environment.
>
> Okay but where exactly? This didn't had any effect with asadmin deploy
> command, so probably I should start the whole server with this property,
> but really, is this the best solution for this?
> I've tried many things and the final winner was to use
> -Drails.env=production JVM property (still not pretty).

In deploying our rails app - we had to do:

${ASADMIN} deploy --property jruby.rackEnv=${RAILS_ENV} --contextroot=/ ${EI_CORE}/

where 'jruby.rackEnv' set the environment for deploytime.

One of the big things we are facing now is that with Glassfish 3.1 - there is no jruby plugin, thus you cannot even deploy a jruby/rails app correctly - and if you install the current one, it blows up too.

I am still waiting on some feedback on this issue - since Oracle removed the language plugins to let this happen.

Hope this helps some.

Robert Weeks
Senior Software Developer
EXTENSION Inc.