users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling JSP is slow on v3

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 01:54:59 PDT

There is more than the one-line index.jsp. As I said, there's a login.jsp and a home.jsp. Each takes considerably longer to start/load/grok/compile/whatever in V3.

I changed org.apache.jasper.level=FINE in <GF>/domains/domain1/config/logging.properties
and behold, this time I got lots of entries in server.log! (I wonder why that didn't work when I used the admin console...?) A snip of my server.log after a redeploy and login is attached to this post.

From what I can understand, Jasper logs the following "Compiled" times in ms (in order of appearance):

6454 index.jsp
2813 label.tag
1860 row.tag
2641 text.tag
1844 textRow.tag
1891 password.tag
1844 passwordRow.tag
2563 submit.tag
1844 submitRow.tag
2282 login.jsp
2281 only.tag
2875 a.tag
2500 home.jsp

What strikes me is that the one-liner index.jsp takes such a long time.

Also, the tag files are really very simple "macros" to wrap a few single HTML tags. Should they really take so long to compile?

I also made a list of the "Generated ... total=" times:

125 index.jsp
156 label.tag
3078 row.tag
16 text.tag
7697 textRow.tag
15 password.tag
1953 passwordRow.tag
0 submit.tag
2640 submitRow.tag
18031 login.jsp
0 only.tag
110 a.tag
5437 home.jsp

I understand these times even less. I may be reading the server.log file wrong, so please check it. There's also a lot of other stuff in it that I don't understand so well...

Hope this will bring the issue forward!

Regards!
Per Lindberg
[Message sent by forum member 'tmpsa']