users@glassfish.java.net

General design question in use Java EE technologies to solve an issue

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:23:02 PDT

A system I am working on has a requirement that I am having trouble trying to find the correct Java EE technologies to use. My application communicates with network equipment. New network equipment is dynamically added to the system via the database (using JPA to represent the equipment in the database). Because it may take a while for the equipment to respond, I am using JMS between the presentation tier and the business tier.. The presentation tier queues JMS requests and later picks up JMS responses. This is working out okay.

There can be many hundreds of network equipment that are being accessed form the application at one moment but for a specific piece of network equipment only one access should be done at a time. So I have a requirement to support accessing multiple network equipment in parallel and only have one access to a specific piece of equipment at one time. However, if there are multiple requests to access a specific piece of equipment, the requests must be queued and not rejected out of hand.

So it is basically like I want a queue per piece of equipment. JMS is pretty static when it comes to configuring and processing from a queue, so I am not sure this is a way to proceed. Also, i don't want to poll for requests of work to process.

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on what might be a good set of Java EE technologies to use for a problem such as this?

Thanks in advance.

Brett
[Message sent by forum member 'bbergquist']