users@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish V3.1 promoted builds - basics not working

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 00:30:48 PDT

Hi All,

I have been religiously uploading and try out each promoted build of GF 3.1, There are, of course, improvements with each, but I am stuck with the fact that generally, only a few builds can successfully do the basics that I want :-

1. Define a JDBC connection pool.
2. Define a JDBC resource that points to this connection pool.
3. Deploy an application that uses the JDBC resource.

To date, only builds 9 and 13 can do this. The most usual thing is that the simple configurations from the admin console to do the above three things do not work.

My setup :-
Linux 32-bit, Kubuntu 10.04 (lucid), PostgreSql, Sun Java 1.6_20.
Latest available promoted build (build 18) set up from the installer .sh file, and selecting the "basic" configuration.

This has the following problems from starting up the fresh install :-

1. When you get to the second page of defining a JDBC connection pool (using Postgres), the addition properties panel is empty, i.e. the database name, password, port number, etc. are not present, so you cannot fill them in. I have sometimes in the past, gone into the domain.xml file to directly add these in, but this is not satisfactory.

2. When you go to save a JDBC resource, it gets the following error :-
REST Request 'http://localhost:4848/management/domain/resources/jdbc-resource/jdbc/__Suprima/property.json' failed with response code '404'.

3. When you select the "Applications" folder from the tree on the left, it gets the following error :-
HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report
message
descriptionThe server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.
exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException while attempting to process a 'beforeCreate' event for 'event253'.
root cause
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException while attempting to process a 'beforeCreate' event for 'event253'.
root cause
root cause
java.lang.NullPointerException
note The full stack traces of the exception and its root causes are available in the GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 3.1-b18 logs.

I appreciate that these are still development builds, but I thought that the promoted builds have at least passed some "minimum smoke-tests". Surely at this late stage (full release coming up in the not too distant future), these basic operations should have been sorted out, or don't promote the build until they have.

Regards,

Steve.
[Message sent by forum member 'suttridge_farm']