users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish, OSGi and Eclipse

From: Sanjeeb Sahoo <Sahoo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:32:46 +0530

Hi Herald,

Very interesting use case. I think GlassFish can save you from the
repetitive task you mentioned about. Would you mind telling us about
your existing setup and practice so that we can think of a specific
approach that will work better for you instead of giving some general
solution that you have already tried out and are not satisfied with. In
particular, tell us what you are trying to do. You mentioned about some
50 bundles. Do you develop all of them or some of them are dependencies
of your bundles? If latter is the case, where do they come from? What is
your build automation tool? I am not an eclipse user, so I don't know if
it by defult ant or make or maven. We should also keep an eye on how to
do the bundle deployment once you move out of your development
environment. So, we need to understand your problem better. Do you think
using an OBR will help here? I don't think there is any relationship
between which jar file is used to deploy and the ability to debug - all
that matters is whether the byte code being executed is in sync with the
source code you are looking at in your debugger front-end or not.

More over, do you have a particular expectation about how you want to do
the bundle deployment while using GlassFish? You should file an RFE
against glassfish plugin if we are not meeting your expectation.

Thanks,
Sahoo