users@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish V3, JAAS, multi-user/multi-threaded standalone client

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 02:25:26 PDT

Hello,

I'am looking for a solution/design guideline regarding a multi-user and multi-threaded standalone EJB client.

Two machines:

A) fully fledged glassfish ejb server with custom login modules/principals/realms and our applications

B) tomcat servlet container which is a backend for a rich/webstarted multi-user application. Server based part ot this application connects to a ejb server (machine A) as a thin client a uses ejb authentication to gain access.

Until now we were using different ejb server (OpenEJB, Weblogic) and IntialContext authentication (by setting properties such as Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIAL). During authentication our custom login module added a Principal which later was used by a EJB layer to recover some user/application specific details. InitialContext authentication enabled us to have many connections to EJB layer, each authenticated as a logged in user. So all was fine.

Enter glassfish:
1) As far as I know We cannot use initialcontext authentication as it is not supported by glassfish - correct ? How much work would be required to implement it ? (we are considering it)

2) Can we use ProgrammaticLogin/LoginContext to have multiple, simultaneus connections authenticated as different users ? How Can we achieve that and not use login/logout before every ejb lookup.

3) Is there another way of managing/keeping simltaneus, multiuser, authenticated connections ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
best regards,
Marcin 'Yans' Bazarnik