users@glassfish.java.net

Re: NullPointerException In EclipseLink During EAR Deployment

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:59:34 PDT

I hadn't heard anything for so long, I thought there was no one out there. So, here are some updates which might help.

As mentioned earlier the deploy failed completely with a NullPointerException. However, I have revisited the test at various points, and there are two other symptoms worth mentioning:

1. EclipseLink appears to be ignoring the relationship between field annotations and their override settings in an ORM. I've seen it complain that field has no @Temporal annotation even though the class clearly has it defined. That field happens to also have an override entry in the ORM, but only for the name of the field, not the <temporal> tag. If I add the <temporal> tag to match the annotation, then EclipseLink is happy.....but then I've duplicated the information for no apparent reason. But to keep it happy, I have done so. NB: Hibernate works fine in this respect.

2. EclipseLink 2.1.0 (recently released and used with GlassFish v3.0.1) claims it has successfully deployed the ear file, but no EJB tables are generated in the database (NB: I do get tables when I use Hibernate). I have seen this behavior before in an earlier version of EclipseLink working with GlassFish v3. There are no exceptions in the log, just no tables generated. At that time, by trial and error, I figured out that there was a silent exception which prevented the tables from being created. I determined this by deduction i.e. simply removing various classes and jar files from the ear file, until the tables were created, but of course the application was useless that way :-) But without the exception, this is difficult to report. If this is known behavior under some other circumstance, then please let me know.

Thanks

Joe
[Message sent by forum member 'teknomad']