users@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish Roadmap: Stability vs. Features

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 03:57:28 PDT

I can't say I'm happy about the Glassfish roadmap.

Glassfish 3.0.1 still has major bugs and I would not recommend it for production. The trouble is, what are the alternatives for Java EE 6? Milestone builds of JBoss 6? Caucho Resin (Web profile only)?

I find myself spending too much time not working on my application but analyzing and debugging platform problems in Glassfish and its third-party components, mainly in the CDI and JPA 2.0 areas. I have a couple of months left before going live, and I'm seriously considering downgrading my application to Java EE 5.

Clustering and High Availability is nice to have, but what's the point in clustering when even a single node is unstable.

I'd rather see two more bugfix releases 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 before the end of this year than a 3.1 release with new features and new bugs.
[Message sent by forum member 'hwellmann']