users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish 3.1 File Layout one-pager available for review

From: Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic <snjezana.sevozenzerovic_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:31:29 -0700

Thank you for your comments - please see inline...

Dominik Dorn wrote:
> I would really like it if user customized directories like domains/domain1
> would not be in the glassfish folder, but somewhere else (e.g.
> $HOME/.glassfish),
> so that I can simply upgrade by extracting a new zip.
Well, those directories are only defaulted to glassfish/domains and can
be relocated elsewhere - I'll clarify this in the revised one-pager.

Note that you can get this behavior even with current GlassFish if you
update the value of default domain directory variable in
glassfish/config/asenv.conf file or if you use --domaindir option for
local asadmin commands.

> Also own libraries should
> be put there (like jdbc drivers) and glassfish should scan those
> directories like
> the normal /lib

You mean placing such custom libraries under
<custom_domain_dir>/<domain_name>/lib? Yes, that is certainly the intent
and classloader should already be working that way.
> also I don't like it, that auto-generated content is stored in
> domains/domain1/generated as this blows up the directory with useless
> data and makes it harder
> to simply create a backup from a domain by copying the folder.

Well, that content should not be useless in the first place :-) I think
we could have an RFE to implement alternative generated content
location, similar to relocatable logs directory, but I think that will
have to wait until next release.

I do agree that we need clean way to separate basic domain configuration
files which can be used to relocate the domain from the content which is
generated on the fly such as generated directory content and osgi-cache
- for this purpose, 3.1 will introduce asadmin backup-domain and
restore-domain commands. More details on this can be found on DAS
recovery wiki page:

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=3.1DASRecovery