users@glassfish.java.net

Re: System.gc() considered harmful

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 08:33:41 -0500

One aspect to keep in mind...

Windows systems have the problem that open files cannot be deleted or
renamed. Open files - typically JARs - can be left open by
frameworks, application code, or bugs in the app server. Sometimes
these dangling open files are held open by unreachable object
references that have not yet be GCed. So, on Windows, GlassFish will
sometime try to run the GC to clean up these dangling references and,
thereby, close the open files.

We need to be careful making a blanket statement - and changing the
default setting for GlassFish - about this.

- Tim