users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish v3.0.1: Admin Console not starting after new installation

From: Anissa Lam <anissa.lam_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:42:47 -0700

I looked at the attached server.log, and i don't see any obvious error.
The only thing that is suspicious is the last line:

[#|2010-06-30T11:27:55.825+0200|INFO|glassfish3.0.1|javax.enterprise.system.std.com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl|_ThreadID=27;_ThreadName=Thread-1;|Cannot
refresh Catalog : Connection timed out: connect|#]

That seems to be related to the repositories.
However, you mentioned that b20 works for you. I tried to compare
.org.opensolaris,pkg/cfg_cache in the final release and b20, didn't
find difference that will cause the issue.

Here is two suggestion:
1. try running glassfishv3/bin/updatetool and set the update check
frequency' preference to 'Never'. , restart server
      (This approach will ensure that GUI doesn't try to connect to the
repo and check if update is available, etc)

2. Assuming you don't need the updatetool plugin in the GUI, remove or
backup glassfishv3/glassfish/modules/console-updatecenter-plugin.jar ;
restart the server.
      (This approach will remove the updatetool functionality in GUI.
The update tool tree node will be gone and you won't see whats
installed, the version etc. but you can always run the standalone updatool)

If it is indeed due to update center network issue, the above should
avoid that and get you going with the GUI.
Let us know.

thanks
Anissa.