users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 3.1

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 19:05:14 PDT

> I am happy to formally announce that work on
> *GlassFish Server Open
> Source Edition 3.1* has started. Building on the
> modular, Java EE 6
> based 3.0 release
> <https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/v3-final.htm
> l>, version 3.1 is
> the next major release. This release will focus on
> the following themes:
> * Clustering and Centralized Administration
> * High Availability
>
> Of course, you'll see incremental improvements
> throughout as well as bug
> fixes. Also note that Oracle GlassFish Server
> distribution will continue
> to include value added features (similar to version
> 2.x).
>
> The project is divided into various sub-projects
> <http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=PlanForG
> lassFish3.1#section-PlanForGlassFish3.1-SubProjects>.
>
> Information about the sub-projects are available on
> the wiki
> <http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=PlanForG
> lassFish3.1>
> (click on the 'Project' link). A high level cluster
> design overview is
> available here
> <http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3.1Clus
> tering>.
>
> *Draft Schedule
> *A draft engineering schedule
> <http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFis
> hV3Schedule#section-GlassFishV3Schedule-GlassFishServe
> rOpenSourceEdition3.1>
> is available now. First milestone is on May 24, 2010.
> We are focusing on
> milestone planning, basic infrastructure, build and
> one-pagers
> <http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3Functi
> onalSpecs> for
> this milestone.
>
> Other key dates
> * One pager -- 05/14 (initial draft), 5/21
> (review ready)
> * Milestone 1 -- 05/24 -- Planning complete,
> Promoted builds, Basic
> nfrastructure, One-pagers
> * Milestone 2 -- 06/21 -- All initial
> integrations complete, some P1
> eatures complete
> * Milestone 3 -- 07/19 -- Most P1 features
> complete
> * Milestone 4 -- 08/16 -- SCF for cluster
> infrastructure and high
> vailability, All P1 features complete, Low P1 bug
> count
> * Milestone 5 -- 09/13 -- SCF for remaining
> areas, All features
> omplete, Zero P1 bug count
> * Milestone 6 -- 11/22 -- Hard code freeze (HCF),
> Zero P1-P3 bug count
>
> *Engineering Meeting
> *I have requested Chris Kasso to start the
> engineering meeting for this
> release. He will be sending out information about the
> meeting logistics
> soon. Please stay tuned.
>
> *References
> *Wiki:
> [...]

That is great, but don't you guys plan fixing issues with existing 3.0 first? Don't get me wrong it is a great product, but so far I have found so many minor bugs that it just looks strange that you start next cycle before making sure the existing product is anywhere near being good... I have seen quite a few posts with issues (including my own), which nobody even looking to address. Just seems bizarre...
[Message sent by forum member 'nakoned']