users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 3.1

From: Nazrul Islam <nazrul.islam_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:58:31 -0700

I am happy to formally announce that work on *GlassFish Server Open
Source Edition 3.1* has started. Building on the modular, Java EE 6
based 3.0 release
<https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/v3-final.html>, version 3.1 is
the next major release. This release will focus on the following themes:
   * Clustering and Centralized Administration
   * High Availability

Of course, you'll see incremental improvements throughout as well as bug
fixes. Also note that Oracle GlassFish Server distribution will continue
to include value added features (similar to version 2.x).

The project is divided into various sub-projects
<http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=PlanForGlassFish3.1#section-PlanForGlassFish3.1-SubProjects>.
Information about the sub-projects are available on the wiki
<http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=PlanForGlassFish3.1>
(click on the 'Project' link). A high level cluster design overview is
available here
<http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3.1Clustering>.

*Draft Schedule
*A draft engineering schedule
<http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3Schedule#section-GlassFishV3Schedule-GlassFishServerOpenSourceEdition3.1>
is available now. First milestone is on May 24, 2010. We are focusing on
milestone planning, basic infrastructure, build and one-pagers
<http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3FunctionalSpecs> for
this milestone.

Other key dates
    * One pager -- 05/14 (initial draft), 5/21 (review ready)
    * Milestone 1 -- 05/24 -- Planning complete, Promoted builds, Basic
infrastructure, One-pagers
    * Milestone 2 -- 06/21 -- All initial integrations complete, some P1
features complete
    * Milestone 3 -- 07/19 -- Most P1 features complete
    * Milestone 4 -- 08/16 -- SCF for cluster infrastructure and high
availability, All P1 features complete, Low P1 bug count
    * Milestone 5 -- 09/13 -- SCF for remaining areas, All features
complete, Zero P1 bug count
    * Milestone 6 -- 11/22 -- Hard code freeze (HCF), Zero P1-P3 bug count

*Engineering Meeting
*I have requested Chris Kasso to start the engineering meeting for this
release. He will be sending out information about the meeting logistics
soon. Please stay tuned.