users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Temporary WAR in /var/tmp

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 19:32:11 PDT

Hi Tim,

Okay, here are the results of my testing:

(1) Using the admin GUI to deploy by doing an HTTP upload from a remote client. i.e. selecting: "Packaged file to be uploaded to the server" when deploying a new Web Application. This is the method currently in use.

On execution, an upload temporary file is created on the server in /var/tmp, e.g.

/var/tmp/upload_2998b167_127cd28769e__188c_00000020.tmp

Once the HTTP upload has completed and before the app server starts the actual deploy this is renamed to:

/var/tmp/appname-576630322027436300159.4.war

Once deployment is successful, this file still persists and continues to exist if I undeploy the app, redeploy it, or restart the application server instance.

This is the problem I'm trying to resolve or work around.

(2) Using the admin GUI to deploy a local file, stored on the server. i.e. selecting "Local packaged file or directory that is accessible from the Application Server" when deploying a new Web Application.

Doesn't create a WAR in /var/tmp at any stage, as far as I can tell, hence no WARs to leave behind.

(3) Using 'asadmin deploy' with upload=true from the command line.

Does create a temporary WAR file, but in a different location:

/var/tmp/s1astempdomain1server-1152317044/appname.war

This WAR file appears to persist after the successful deployment of the web application but *is* removed when the server instance is restarted. Parent directory (
s1astempdomain1server-1152317044) not removed.

So (1) and (2) kind of confirm my suspicion which is that the files created are just the immediate destination for the HTTP upload of a WAR from a remote client before the app server can start deployment of said file.

And yep, it does appear to be only the web admin GUI (upload from remote client) method that produces this behaviour. The asadmin one is a distinctly different procedure.

Hope this helps clarify the different methods and which one I'm experiencing this with

Thanks for your assistance so far.
[Message sent by forum member 'dcannell01']