users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish v3 Installation Detection

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 12:16:39 PDT

What can one query on a system that would indicate the presence of GlassFish. I installed on XP for the purpose of searching for such a key, but found nothing in the registry. It didn't even appear in Add/Rem Pgms.

I don't want to rely on the default installation for a search because a user may desire to have it installed to install the app to a different location.

What I want to be able to do is find something that will let me know if installed. If not installed I want to fire off the install. I understand that one can run a silent install using an answer file, but my question here would be, what if the user want to install to a different directory than that indicated in the answer file?

I guess I would have to prompt the user for the desired installation location, edit the answer file with this information then fire the installer pointing to the edited answer file.
???

It would be nice if I would be able to fire off the installer and have it prompt for anything that might be missing from the answer file. In other words, have nothing for the install location in the file, the installer would see this and through its interface, prompt for the destination.

At any rate, if I can find a good way to determine if GlassFish is installed first (reg entry, standard file in the file system somewhere, etc, that would be great!

Any information is greatly appreciated!
[Message sent by forum member 'superfreak3']