users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Interesting Glassfish crash, probably related to SMTP

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:34:39 PDT

Hello,

no hs* anything found...

Nevertheless, I made three changes, and after them, the problem is gone - so far.

First, I noticed that RAM on the virtual computer which hosted the Sailfin (Xen) was set too low - to 512 MB. Meanwhile, -Xmax was set to 512m. This is probably not good. So, I increased the memory to 1024 MB.

Second, I noticed a strange recursion in one servlet where it should not be. I am not sure whether the recursion was infinite, but possibly yes. Of course, infinite recursion would kill the server pretty quickly. But once I managed to kill the server even from another servlet which had no recursion in it... and I would expect Java VM to collapse at least with [i]java.lang.OutOfMemoryError[/i] in such case anyway.

Third, I changed the Netbeans project properties for the WAR and EJB JAR, so that JDK 6 compatible binary is generated, and not JDK 5, which was the default value. I read that Glassfish is very strictly JDK 6 - oriented.

I am not sure whether I killed the bug by the combined forces of those three changes, or just postponed it to heavier server load. What do you think? Could infinite recursion kill the VM without any clean trace? Could setting -Xmax to more than physical memory do the same?

Best regards

Marian
[Message sent by forum member 'mkechlibar']