users@glassfish.java.net

Displaying something when the client (jws) is starting

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:17:46 PDT

Dear all,

I have an enterprise project with a swing client. This client is started using java web start. My problem is, that this client is started on slower computers. At this time the startup takes about 20 (and more) seconds on these computers. That's not a problem, the problem is that users cannot see anything on the screen when statring... They see the download screen, then for a half minute nothing and then the login screen. When I look into the console, the most time takes the unpacking (time between logs INFO: ACC024: IIOP endpoint(s) = otherpc:3711 and INFO: ACC09: Load Application Class...) Is it possible to display something at this time? I tried to use splashscreen, but without success (never displayed) and I think this wouldn't help me... I have added this line to sun-application-client.xml:
<vendor>logo-small.png::logo-large.png::Some vendor</vendor>
The images can be accessed by browser on url http://localhost:8081/logo-large.png. When I start the client, I can see the text "Some vendor" when downloading, but not the images. I've played with the urls to images in sun-application-client.xml, but without success...

Can anybody help me?

Thank you

Michael
[Message sent by forum member 'anaq']