users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Auto-refresh in code for deployed app (jruby)

From: Robert Weeks <RWeeks_at_ext-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:22:09 -0800

On Mar 11, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Robert Weeks <RWeeks_at_ext-inc.com<mailto:RWeeks_at_ext-inc.com>> wrote:

We are working on converting an existing ruby application to a jruby instance under glassfish - which will have some java based daemons that it talks to - but in working on the application, I have not been able to get any changes made to the ruby code (rb files) to show up without disabling/enabling the app.

Are you running in development mode?

hmmm - to be honest - I am not sure. :\ I assume you mean as -client? Or setting the rails_env to development (--property jruby.rackEnv=development)? If so on either -then yes. :)

Have you considered doing your basic development "conventionally",
using mongrel or whatever, and just deploy to GF to test?

The app is already running conventionally - but there has had to be several adjustments in getting to work via jruby/gf - such as libxml issues and messaging (currently tied to ActiveMQ via activemessaging - which is another issue to work out) - but we want to be able to test all under GF as we go along.

Plus we are pulling out certain functionality from the core rails app to be loaded via osgi bundles (daemons) - and need to be able to test those changes on the fly as well.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Robert B. Weeks
rweeks_at_ext-inc.com<mailto:rweeks_at_ext-inc.com>