users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JBoss vs. GlassFish (Why Glassfish?)

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <pelegri_at_sun.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 14:44:25 -0800

"Reference Implementation" is a technical term.

The Java specifications are managed using the JCP process. For a
specification to be final, the Expert Group leader has to submit to the JCP:
  - A specification document
  - A test suite
  - An implementation that implements the spec and passes the tests.

The latter is the "reference implementation" (RI) for the specification.
  Some RIs are proof of concept. Some RIs are fully-featured,
production-ready products.

GlassFish v3 is a fully-featured, production-ready Application Server
that implements JavaEE 6. Sun is the specification lead for JavaEE 6
and the RI for JavaEE 6 is based derived from GlassFish (see PS).

Hope this helps,
   - eduard/o

PS. You may notice that I do not just say "GF is the RI". Informally
that is true enough but, to be and 100% accurate... the RI is a source
drop to the JCP that is based on the GlassFish sources and that is made
aailable to the JavaEE licensees. This is probably TMI, though.