users@glassfish.java.net

EJB writing binary BLOB data - impossible with oracle JDBC on glassfish?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:10:57 PST

I find that all the examples provided by Oracle thin-mode JDBC drivers for writing BLOB data into the database involves driver-specific classes. None are provided that use JDBC standard methods.

Eg:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/files/advanced/LOBSample/LOBSample.java.html

I have tested the JDBC standard ways of manipulating BLOBs and I have tried a number of ways and a number of Oracle JDBC drivers including the latest but I have found that none of them work. You either end up with exceptions, or a NULL blob.

This presents a problem for glassfish because glassfish provides wrapped JDBC classes to the application. For example to create a blob using oracle's native classes you need access to the unwrapped native classes.

Is updating oracle binary BLOB data from EJBs thus impossible without Oracle fixing their driver?

Alternatively, is there a way in Glassfish to get your hands on and use the native Oracle resources without breaking transactional integrity?
[Message sent by forum member 'dcam' (david_at_pastornet.net.au)]