users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish v3 on Windows Server 64 bit

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:49:15 PDT

Hi all,

I need to install GS on 64 bit Windows Server 2003 or 2008 and avoid 4GB heap barrier. Initially I thought that since GS is 100% Java then I just need to find out if I can get 64 bit JVM running on WS 2003. Based on this table (http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations.html) both WS 2003 and 2008 are suitable.

But then I checked GS Release Notes (http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-7688/abpaj?a=view) which say Windows 7 is the only 64 bit platform supported.

On the other hand, this Wiki page (http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=Faq64bitConfig) says: "If you need to break the 2GB or 4GB heap (depending on your OS/JVM combinaison) maximum barrier for your GlassFish-powered application, you can move to a 64-bit JVM".

I'm confused... Is there a way to run GS on WS 2003 or 2008? Why Release Notes does not name any WS 64 bit platform if I can get 64 bit JVM running there?

Thanks in advance for your help!
[Message sent by forum member 'robinzon']