users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why is fscontext.jar used in Java Web Start?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:39:33 PDT

App clients can use JMS messaging, and as you point out fscontext.jar is part of the MessageQueue implementation of JMS. It is not practical for GlassFish to analyze each app client to determine exactly which JARs it does and does not need at runtime. Because of this, the Java Web Start support in GlassFish must be aware of that JAR and make it available to all clients.

We made some progress in shrinking the app client container's footprint in going from GlassFish 2 to GlassFish 3 and we would like to do even better going forward. Also, there are some newer features in Java Web Start we would like to use to optimize downloading even more.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn']