users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Using Glassfish 3 in production

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:15:34 PDT

Barry,

No success. I've started clean. I installed RHEL 5.4 64 bit, the 64 bit JVM (6U18), and the 64 bit version of MySQL.

First I tried using loadimpact.com to test the site. I went through a full 50 user test without a problem, 12000 page hits and nearly 100m of data transferred. I ran a second test and got about 75% complete before the site died.

I moved to JMeter after this It seems like I can't get a good estimate of when the site dies. I've killed it running a test with 150 threads running 5 times, other times I can run a test 200 thread test 20 times before killing the server. At times the site doesn't die.

I've made modifications to the thread pool without any noticeable change. I've set the min thread count from 5 to 20 and the max from 500 to 2000. I even tried setting the max queue size to -1. There seemed to be no pattern between the load required to kill the site and the thread settings.

For an odd test I swapped our production site for this server and ran no load tests against it. In less than 30 minute the site was down. I'm sure there was traffic hitting the site during this time, but not anywhere near the amount generated by JMeter or loadimpact.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this? Nothing regarding the server hangs appears in the logs.

BTW, on this rebuild of the server I'm using the following JVM options:
-server
-Xmx3500m
-XX:+AggressiveHeap
-Xms3500m
-Xss128k
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2
-XX:+UseParallelOldGC
-XX:+UseCompressedOops
-XX:+UseTLAB

Thanks,
Bob
[Message sent by forum member 'bdushok']