users@glassfish.java.net

Using Glassfish 3 in production

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:35:55 PDT

I'm currently building a server running Glassfish 3 to replace our current Glassfish 2 server. In testing the server runs great, but once online connections to our webapps seem to stall.

Using a free web site load testing site I was able to find that when somewhere between 30 to 50 simultaneous connections are made connections to the server seem to stall. Pages appear to eventually load, but I've waited as much as three minutes for the request to be processed.

I've tried several things to tune the server for production use, but haven't been successful. So far I've changed the following:

Changed/Added JVM options:
-client replaced with -server
XX:+AggressiveHeap
-Xmx1400m
-Xms1400m
-Xss128k
XX:+DisableExplicitGC

I noticed Glassfish seemed to be opening more files than the OS was allowing. I changed the OS to enable Glassfish to have up to 20000 files open (Linux file /etc/security/limits.conf).

Is there any other settings I should change to increase performance?

Thanks,
Bob
[Message sent by forum member 'bdushok']