users@glassfish.java.net

Remote deployment from Maven / Hudson

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:27:28 PDT

We need to be able to deploy a web application (packaged as a .war file) to remote servers from a maven build process, almost certainly running within Hudson. Here's a similar requirement stated just about a year ago:

http://old.nabble.com/Hudson-to-Glassfish-deployment-to22668824.html

It appears that the maven-glassfish-plugin (https://maven-glassfish-plugin.dev.java.net) provides no remote-deployment capability (unless I'm missing something). Elsewhere on the 'net, I've seen recommendations to use maven's exec plugin to script the asadmin executable -- something I would certainly like to avoid (i.e. the external, unmanaged dependency of a glassfish install just to drive deployments from a build environment).

It seems that my other option would be to invert the relationship: use glassfish embedded, and simply push new versions of the app + glassfish to the servers in question, and coordinate startup/shutdown of app instances using something like chef or puppet.

For contrast, that same option is of course available with jetty as well, and it appears that the cargo maven plugin supports straightforward deployment to remote, established jetty instances: http://cargo.codehaus.org/Jetty+6.x

Surely someone is doing continuous deployment with Glassfish. Any pointers are most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

- Chas
[Message sent by forum member 'cemerick']