users@glassfish.java.net

Sync error?

From: Ian Campbell <icampbell_at_quotemedia.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:16:40 -0800

We've been having trouble with synchronization between the DAS and node
agents in our setup. It started with config changes made from the DAS to
an instance not being synced... tried restarting the node agent,
restarting DAS/node agent, and deleting the cache dirs. None of that worked.

Created a new agent and an instance on it; that new instance won't sync
either. In all cases we get this in the instance's server.log:

[#|2010-01-05T16:23:14.094-0800|WARNING|sun-appserver2.1|javax.ee.enterprise.system.tools.synchronization|_ThreadID=10;_ThreadName=main;|SYNC029:
There was an exception during synchronization. Please try again and a
full synchronization will be initiated. If the problem
persists for a server instance, you may backup and remove the cache
repository (for example, directories under nodeagents/na1/server1/) and
restart the node-agent (ex. asadmin stop-node-agent; start-node-agent
--startinstances=false) and the server instance (ex. asadmin
start-instance). All necessary configuration for the server instance
(server1 in example) will be downloaded from Domain Administration
Server by synchronization.
com.sun.enterprise.ee.synchronization.DASCommunicationException: Unable
to communicate with Domain Administration Server.
         at
com.sun.enterprise.ee.synchronization.BaseSynchronizationDriver.synchronizeInternal(BaseSynchronizationDriver.java:277)
         at
com.sun.enterprise.ee.synchronization.BaseSynchronizationDriver.synchronize(BaseSynchronizationDriver.java:129)
         at
com.sun.enterprise.ee.synchronization.SynchronizationMain.main(SynchronizationMain.java:126)
|#]

 From looking at the source I guess the ping that checks if the DAS is
alive is failing somehow, but it's not clear how. The port is
accessible, and the node agent has to connect to it when it's initially
setup, no?

I also setup a completely new domain/node agent/instance which syncs
fine, so I guess I can take from that the hardware/network is in good shape.

The wiki isn't terribly helpful with regards to the error, it suggests
"checking" das.properties and domain.xml with no indication on what I
should be checking for. das.properties appears to be correct, domain.xml
is a huge XML blob, I'm not sure what I should be looking for there :)

What can I do to fix this?

Cheers.