users@glassfish.java.net

Running Glassfish v3 on Port 80 on linux

From: Dominik Dorn <dominik.dorn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 03:46:07 +0100

Hi,

I searched for some hours to find current information on whats the
best practice to get glassfish to port 80 on linux without running
it as root..

I found a solution doing an iptables redirect from 80 to 8080,
and one fronting glassfish with apache/lighttpd and so on...

Afaik Grizzly has better performance than a apache-httpd -> ajp -> glassfish
solution.
Also I'm not sure how the apache-httpd -> ajp -> glassfish would perform
with comet and asynchronous requests, nio etc.

What is the best practice to run glassfish with port 80?
I don't want to run it as root, as I'm also using quercus for php and that
would
possibly give an attacker access to the whole machine.

I'm running gentoo-linux but a general, distribution independent solution
would be best.

Please share your knowledge!

--
Dominik Dorn