users@glassfish.java.net

Re: cleanest upgrade path from early V3 to FCS

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:17:44 -0800

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> I have several early GF3 instances running, and would like now to
> upgrade to the FCS version.
>
> What is the recommended/most effective way to do this? Each one
> has a customized configuration; can I export from the old and import
> into the new, or _________?
>
> TIA,

Consider that it is somewhat like the following:

/oldv3/
   |--- /bin/asadmin -> the script of essence.
   |--- /modules -> this is an "older" v3 installation
   |--- /domains/domain1 -> and its domain.

and:

/v3/
   | --- /modules -> v3 FCS installation
   | --- /bin/asadmin -> the asadmin corresponding to v3 FCS.

Now, you should simply do:

/v3/bin/asadmin start-domain --domaindir /oldv3/domains/domain1

and if all goes well, the domain1 will be "upgraded" to use the new
v3 FCS binaries and code. Alternatively, you can use:
/v3/bin/asupgrade and a GUI screen will show up that will help you
upgrade.

Let's know how it goes.

-Kedar