users@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish Embedded: Classloaders, (un/re)deployment

From: cemerick <cemerick_at_snowtide.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 05:31:56 -0800 (PST)

I'm poking around at the various embeddable web/app servers out there, for an
embedded application that we'd like to push changes to frequently without
restarts.

I've seen some references on blogs, etc., to how GF embedded just uses the
"system classloader", thereby not "paying the price" of classloader
hierarchies. However, that classloader isolation (and the class GC and such
that goes with it) is critical to me in the above context.

So: does deployment and undeployment in embedded glassfish imply the same
kind of classloader isolation/hierarchy that one can expect in a "normal"
app server, or does embedded carry some different classloader/app
redeployment semantics?

(FWIW, I did a fair bit of searching and reading, but didn't come across
anything definitive. I suspect the answer is obvious to anyone who's used
GF/GF embedded for any period of time.)

Thanks,

- Chas