users@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish 2.1 Patch09 breaks with Patch12

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:05:19 PST

Hello everyone,

We're testing the sges-2_1_1-linux-ml.bin patch on our development systems prior to implementing on production and this patch appears to break our previous version of Glassfish (2.1 Patch03 / 9.1_02 Patch09).

By break I mean GF loses contact with the application we have installed and within GF itself, it keeps throwing "HTTP Status 500" pages when browsing to, for example, "Configurations->default-config->JVM Settings" and then clicking on the "JVM Options" tab at the top. This error appears on most GF pages when you click anything other than the First Tab listed.

I've searched high and low and cannot figure out what's going on. Here's the details:

Our base OS: Enterprise Linux 4.7
Our application is Sun Identity Manager 8.0

Here's what we've tried:

Installing this bundle alone works:

[b]java_ee_sdk-507-linux.bin[/b]

Installing this bundle alone works:

[b]java_ee_sdk-5_08-jdk-6u17-linux.bin[/b]

Installing this bundle:

[b]java_ee_sdk-507-linux.bin[/b]

..and upgrading using this patch, fails:

[b]sges-2_1_1-linux-ml.bin[/b]

I’ve attached some pictures of what happens:

        Picture1 (Top) = the application as installed pre-patch
        Picture1 (Bottom) = the application after the patch is applied
        Picture2 = shows how GlassFish is throwing exceptions when clicking on other links, usually links that have pages with multiple tabs. For example this error was generated by browsing to: “JVM Settings->JVM Options (the third tab)”, usually the first tabs display correctly.

Here is the full error message contained in Picture2 (and other pages when the 2nd tab is clicked):

        “[b]HTTP Status 500 -[/b]

[b]type [/b]Exception report

[b]message[/b]

[b]description [/b]The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

[b]exception[/b]

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException while attempting to process a 'beforeCreate' event for 'page1'.

[b]root cause[/b]

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException while attempting to process a 'beforeCreate' event for 'page1'.

[b]root cause[/b]

[b]root cause[/b]

java.lang.NullPointerException”

We really need to install this patch for security purposes, but if it breaks our current GF installation, then we can't do it.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thank You
[Message sent by forum member 'funwithsun' ]