users@glassfish.java.net

Can't deploy an EAR with a third party library in Glassfish V3

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:25:12 PST

Hi,

I was testing EAR deployment and came across this strange issue.

I've created a rather simple project that results in three ejb jars being put into an ear. The ear looks like this:

test.ear
  META-INF/application.xml
  applicaton1.jar
  application2.jar
  application3.jar

The application.xml looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE application PUBLIC
        "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD J2EE Application 1.3//EN"
        "http://java.sun.com/dtd/application_1_3.dtd">
<application>
  <display-name>test</display-name>
  <module>
    <ejb>application1.jar</ejb>
  </module>
  <module>
    <ejb>application2.jar</ejb>
  </module>
  <module>
    <ejb>application3.jar</ejb>
  </module>
</application>

These jars have inter-dependencies amongst themselves and I can deploy it like this no problem. So far so good.

However, once I put a 'library' jar inside the EAR in any way or anywhere it craps out. And I mean just it's presence in the EAR causes it, the code in the library isn't even referenced anywhere. I've tried both having and not having the appropriate reference in the application.xml and putting the jar in several locations, all to no avail. I currently have it like this, per what I understand the Java EE 5/6 specs to say about packaging these library jars.

test.ear
  META-INF/application.xml
  /lib/jsch.jar
  applicaton1.jar
  application2.jar
  application3.jar

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE application PUBLIC
        "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD J2EE Application 1.3//EN"
        "http://java.sun.com/dtd/application_1_3.dtd">
<application>
  <display-name>test</display-name>
  <module>
    <ejb>application1.jar</ejb>
  </module>
  <module>
    <ejb>application2.jar</ejb>
  </module>
  <module>
    <ejb>application3.jar</ejb>
  </module>
  <module>
    <jar>lib/jsch.jar</jar>
  </module>
</application>

Note this deploys just fine on Glassfish V2.1 and I did reference the library jar in the application# jars in that case too.

I tried both recent builds Glassfish V3 b70 and the latest as of last night b73. No luck.

I've attached the EAR in question to this message.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong help would be very very appreciated!!
[Message sent by forum member 'bkatnich' ]