users@glassfish.java.net

Re: difference between LoginModule and Realm

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:05:15 PDT

> Hi, I'm totally confused with Glassfish's term Realm.
> I know the purpose of LoginModule and how to
> implement it, but what is Realm and why do we need
> it?

I think the realm specifies the credential source. Ie. if it's an LDAP directory, then what server is it on, etc.; or if it's a database, what table should it look in. Whereas the login module is how the application interacts with the user to collect the credentials.
[Message sent by forum member 'bleathem' (bleathem_at_triumf.ca)]