users@glassfish.java.net

RE: New to glassfish and really need some quick ssl help

From: <bamoss_at_sceats.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:28:29 -0700
Hi,

First thing I'd do would be figure out what version of JDK I'm using, since the blog is using keytool commands from JDK6
At the command line, enter:  java -version

Then see what is in the keystore...

Keytool -list -v -keystore keystore.jks
The default password is changeit.

If you are unable to get into the keystore, you may end up having to start from scratch and create a new keystore.  The safest way to do this is to rename the existing keystore to something like keystore.old (so you can revert back to in if you need to) and then create a new keystore with the default s1as alias...

Using JDK5:
keytool -genkey -keyalg <key_alg> -keystore keystore.jks -validity <val_days> -alias s1as

Using JDK6:
keytool -genkeypair -keyalg <key_alg> -keystore keystore.jks -validity <val_days> -alias s1as

If you don't specify a value for validity, I believe that the default is only 90 days.  I tend to go with a couple of years, eg: 730

When you generate a new keystore, you can specify the keypass and storepass values, though default is changeit.

This should get you to the point where you can follow the instructions in the blog.  Hope this helps.

Derek