users@glassfish.java.net

Is it normal for JVM memory to spike when redeploying apps?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:00:09 PDT

Hi,

Lately I found the JVM just exiting/crashing with no warning, error message, or anything at all when I redeploy an app. If I watch the JVM memory usage, it spikes by about 500 MB while redeploying, but all of that memory is reclaimed. I suspect the crash happens when it goes too far beyond the configured max heap size? This problem is fairly recent, so I tried redeploying a much older version of the app and notice the same thing happening with the memory.

I restored an older copy of domain.xml before runing the GlassFish Performance Tuner on it. I think it spikes less, maybe about 300 MB when redeploying. The memory usage always goes back down once it finished deploying. Just sometimes java.exe disappears with no warning, nothing in the log files, etc.

Less than a month ago I installed the performance tuner and tuned GlassFish with it. I suspect the problem is related to the tuning, possibly GC settings? I'm going to run with the older copy of domain.xml for the next few months (pre-tuning) to see if I encounter the problem again.

Thanks,
Ryan
[Message sent by forum member 'rdelaplante' (ryan_at_ijws.com)]