users@glassfish.java.net

Busy threads in Grizzly

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:29:19 PDT

Hello folks

We've moved to Grizzly from Coyote and are trying to monitor the number of busy threads. Under the load applied we've noticed around 100+ busy threads at a given time (during the peak load) in our tests while running with coyote. I understand the Grizzly employs a different threading model and thus we might not see the same amount of threads been utilised. However on the same load the jmx attributes only show around 5 busy threads during the peak load. It looks a bit dodgy on the reduction (or is it not). As for the config, I've setup 150 max threads for Request Processing threads with 1 Keep Alive thread and 5 Acceptor threads on the listner. These values were put with a mix of the default values with the intention of tuning them. To get there was wondering if some one could shed some light on the above as to if the the busy threads viewed from the jmx attribute is the correct place to look at and how it applies or reflect on the actual load.
Also we've noticed that the load on the box was about 0.5 higher than what we was running with coyote. Any thoughts on tuning around these attributes is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Cheers
-- Imran
[Message sent by forum member 'imranbohoran' (imranbohoran_at_gmail.com)]