users@glassfish.java.net

Restrict Web application from being acceesed w.r.t domains/sites

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:10:55 PDT

Hello ,

We have a web application hosted outside our network(WAN) . This is only a small tool which provides read-only information like reports etc for viewing (it actually accesses the details of another application's DB and allows to see only reports & other information required.
This application/tool was written separately to avoid the need for login to our original main application. Hence this tool only helps in viewing data and nothing else).

Now , this tool/application (i.e viewing reports tool) can be accessed by both employees and some students/contractors working from outside also . It does not require any login and hence with only url , anyone is able to access/see the details.
It is hosted on Glassfish container.

so, The requirement now is :

restrict access to this application(viewing tool) to only certain domain. i.e :
our url is like : http://hostname.com/viewtool.jsp

- this should be accessible from anyone inside .sun.com
-it should be accessible to anyone from another domain example: xyz.edu , abc.ed.com
-it should not be seen to anyone from any other domains apart from these.

can you please tell me how to restrict this .

NOTE: We are looking for container-based provision i.e something that can be configurable on Glassfish/Sun Application server side . We cannot / do not want to change anything inside the application/tool. We want to know how to configure this restriction for web application inside Glassfish i.e outside our application .

Please let us know if / how this can be done in Glassfish.

[i heard in Tomcat there is something called Valve. but since iam new to this concept , and also since iam looking for this to be done in Glassfish , iam hereby posting the query in this forum]

thanks very much
[Message sent by forum member 'blrjml' (mangalalobo_at_yahoo.co.in)]