users@glassfish.java.net

Re: asadmin can't find domains directory that isn't inside Glassfish v3

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:11:05 PDT

Thanks to everybody for their response. Using the --domaindir option does work, so that takes care of my immediate issue.

Why am I doing this?

Reason #1. As GFv3 is getting more stable, I want to install it where my applications are, but I want my personal data (i.e. my domains) to be where my personal data are. That way, if I blow away my / partition while keeping my /home partition, I still have the data and only need to reinstall my OS and my apps.

Reason #2. In Linux, the GF Eclipse plugin (and lots of other Eclipse plugins) throw a fit when they need to copy something from one partition to the other. (This is a nasty bug in Eclipse.) My workspaces are on the /home partition, and so I want my domains to be there too.

So...I would much appreciate if GF could consistently use AS_DEF_DOMAINS_PATH in asenv.conf. And, when updating with the update manager, I hope that setting gets preserved. And why can't the installer ask for the domain directory? For that matter, why is AS_ACC_CONFIG not relative to AS_DEF_DOMAINS_PATH by default?

Thanks,

Cay
[Message sent by forum member 'cayhorstmann' (cay_at_horstmann.com)]