users@glassfish.java.net

Re: application isolation

From: Sreeram Duvur <sduv_at_sfbay.sun.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:30:25 -0700

On Sep 20, 2009, at 2:48 PM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there anyway to isolate applications without creating another
> glassfish instance ? The reason is that I do not want a fault in one
> application to stop/consume/block all http request processing
> threads such that other applications also fail to serve their purpose.

Since the two applications are running in one JVM it is not possible
to isolate one application from another rogue application that may be
exhausting memory for example. However, we did make some efforts to
add application protection in glassfish v2. You will see a feature to
create reserved pools of threads for applications, so one application
does not hog all the execution resources.

These two blog entries may help in solving some of your concerns.

http://blogs.sun.com/sduv/entry/resource_management_in_enterprise_application
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2006/04/resource_consum.html

The Isolates API made an attempt at this, but it is not available in
Sun JDK yet. The Sun Labs MVM project was an effort directed at this
issue. This is an interesting area with many trade offs for
complexity, performance costs, and level of fault isolation achieved.
With a good management console, it becomes relatively a non-issue;
just start as many VMs as needed, isolating untrusted applications
from the "good" ones and using some facilities like the ones described
in blogs. HTH.

Sreeram