users@glassfish.java.net

pdf creation in synchronized block

From: ymajoros <yannick.majoros_at_uclouvain.be>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:54:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I inherited a web application where big pdf creations happen in a
'synchronized' block. I don't feel this is right: I think thread management
is part of the application server and shouldn't be managed there, in my
opinion.

Still, management insists only one thread should be able to generate a big
document at a time. So, I thought I'd implement some kind of locking scheme.

I need opinions: is there a recommanded way to go, or should I even leave
those synchronized blocks alone?

Thanks