users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to connect Java SE client to Java EE module running on GlassFish?

From: Witold Szczerba <pljosh.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 02:21:52 +0200

2009/8/16 Mark Mielke <mark_at_mark.mielke.cc>:
> Not really. I'm saying that anybody can create problems for themselves, and
> NAT is one very effective may of doing this. :-)

As I said - this is _very_ typical use case when the Server is in
different network. One case is when it is in DMZ (happens in bigger
companies) and second case is when you have HQ with one public IP and
branches (very often). Do not tell me that when a company has one
public IP address - it should rather use the server with Glassfish
instead of router as this sounds ridiculous.

> Let's just make sure the problem is clear. The problem being referenced
> isn't about "the Internet". The problem is with Glassfish on a private
> network being accessed from a public network.

OK, so you have just narrowed the problem so it does not affect you.
Great, but as I said, this is very common use case, when application
servers are not in the same network as application clients.

> It's only off-topic if you are reading the specifics. If you back off for a
> bit - you'll see that the problem of private networks being accessed from
> public networks is faced by MANY different applications. In fact, HTTP is
> frequently sold as the answer to navigating such networks, which is where
> the Jersey suggestion comes in.

Yes, this is great suggestion. Just tell the guy he has to drop his
(ready-to-go) application and create another one using different
communication protocol. Or start arguing his application should be
able to switch between protocols like gloves and it is in fact -
poorly written if he cannot just-like-that switch to HTTP.

> Never said it was P2P. Also, it seems quite clear, that it does send a
> callback address, so whether you think it is nonesense or not - that's how
> it works.

This is how it is implemented. And this is some minor detail which
could be easily fixed. Let Glassfish set the callback address the way
it works with clients from different network and we are happy.

> Should it be easy to make sure the callback address is correct? Sure!
> It should be fixed. I just tried to direct the conversation towards the
> actual problem, rather than something nebulous like "Glassfish doesn't
> work over the Internet".

For many it does not work over the Internet. The Internet is the
network of networks. So it does work "over the Internet" for you and
it does not work "over the Internet" for me and others including the
author of this thread.
If it works for you it means we cannot call our problem by it's name, can we?