users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to connect Java SE client to Java EE module running on GlassFish?

From: Mark Mielke <mark_at_mark.mielke.cc>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:57:06 -0400

On 08/15/2009 01:42 PM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> The post from here describes a way to connect a frontend java se app with GlassFish over the Internet, and to me it sounds like some kind of bug:
> http://forums.java.net/jive/message.jspa?messageID=217837#217837

That's an issue with firewalls and NAT. It might cause some
inconvenience in some situations, but "firewalls and NAT" is not "over
the Internet". It's in "over the Internet to a private network that is
not visible to the world". This is a problem that affects lots of
applications. What does MSN do if it tries to negotiate P2P between two
clients that are both behind "firewalls and NAT"? Neither client can
directly connect to the other client, so it reverts to a server-based
proxy solution which is much slower.

If you want to be able to safely navigate through NAT, you'll need to
restrict yourself to protocols which only connect one-way and don't send
callback addresses that may not be accessible. The other poster pointed
you to Jersey.

I don't know personally whether RMI/CORBA can be made to work through
firewalls and NAT. The article you posted seems to suggest it is
possible, but may require some tweaking to get it to work right.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke<mark_at_mielke.cc>