users@glassfish.java.net

Re: OSGi enabled web application

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:28:49 -0700

Sahoo,

On 08/04/09 22:14, Sahoo wrote:
> Jan Luehe wrote:
>> On 08/04/09 13:55, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know whether glassfish v3 preview supports
>>> versioning of web application bundles?
>>>
>>> I get the following error when I try to deploy a newer version of
>>> web application bundle.
>>> Virtual server [server] already has a web module
>>> [test.test_1.0.0.0] loaded at [/test]; therefore web module
>>> [test.test_2.0.0.0] cannot be loaded at this context path on this
>>> virtual server.
>>> I want all the new sessions be serviced by the new bundle and the
>>> existing sessions get serviced by the older version. Is this
>>> behavior possible?
>>>

>> Not at this point.
>>
>> Currently, the context root of a virtual server may be "occupied"
>> only by a single web app,
>> and only by a single version of it, at any given time.
>>
>> Jan
>>
> Jan,
>
> Let's say, user deploys version 1.0 of app, then updates the bundle to
> version 2.0. Can we do anything to migrate the sessions to the newer
> version of the application?

Yes, the web container supports this, see

  http://blogs.sun.com/jluehe/entry/retain_session_data_during_redeployment

I think you would have to somehow pass this CLI property:

  --properties keepSessions=true

as part of the JavaEEDeploymentRequest/JavaEEUndeploymentRequest
when you deploy the Java EE artifacts of the Web Application Bundle
from the OSGiWebContainer?

Thanks,

Jan